About

Copper Kettle Pub sign
Copper Kettle Entrance
Stained glass above the door at the Copper Kettle Pub
Front Door at the Copper Kettle

For decades, the Copper Kettle pub has been a part of Glen Williams’ rich history and when Jasper and Janet Martin first considered taking over the business they were committed to revitalizing that forgotten ‘neighbourhood pub’ feeling. Having lived in the area for many years, they knew it could be a warm community gathering spot. So they set out to make it so.

During the renovation phase, it was important to maintain the historical integrity of the building so close attention was given to using authentic techniques and materials such as egg shells and sage in the paint, marble dust in the plaster, and authentic bolts and door handles. Wherever possible, materials and furniture were produced locally including the pine tables, front façade and stained glass transom made next door in the William’s Mill Glass Blowing Shop. The high ceiling with Barrel corners and the exquisite chandelier bring a rich authenticity to the look and feel of the restaurant.

Adding to the ambiance is a wood burning fire place both inside and out. The recently built patio with ample seating is an ideal spot to enjoy a relaxing meal or drink.

Make the Copper Kettle your ‘go to’ gathering place for family and friends right here in the center of historic Glen Williams.

HISTORY

Built in 1852, this building was originally home of the Wheeler General Store selling everything from dry goods and shoes to paper and stamps. Imagine Olsen’s Merchantile from Walnut Grove. Three generations of the Wheeler Family ran the store that also served as a post office from 1852 to 1972. There has been some type of store here until the 1970s. Since then the building had been used for an antique shop, a surf shop and a tea room.

If the walls could tell stories….

Photo courtesy of  Esquesing Historical Society
Photo courtesy of Esquesing Historical Society

Wheeler General Store prided itself on being a ‘dry’ store serving no alcohol, unlike the shop across the street. In fact, the store-keeper, Rufus McCrea, was instrumental in getting the Town Hall built next door in 1871 and included among its activities meetings of the local Temperance Society.

Ironically, the building eventually became the Copper Kettle Pub serving customers for over twenty years. In 2016, ownership changed hands and the Copper Kettle Pub has been lovingly renovated to bring it back to its former glory as a community hot spot and a ‘must see’ destination for tourists and travelers.

 

SOCIALICON
SOCIALICON
SOCIALICON
SOCIALICON
SOCIALICON